Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mobile

I made this mobile last weekend for one of my little friends for her first birthday:


It was more fun and challenging than I expected, but I am so happy with how it turned out.  It was not easy to make each piece spin freely without ever crashing into the others, so it took a lot of careful adjusting.


I added some nature treasures that I had gathered and enjoyed over the years, and it was so gratifying to see them in this new way.  I spent a lot of time thinking about the textures and weights and how to make them balance both physically and aesthetically.  This is one of my favorite parts:


The crow feather is so light that it catches every small puff of wind, and it spins more easily than the other elements.  I put a small metal weight on the tip in order to make it hang horizontally.  Here's a closer look:


I've had the abalone shell for many years, and have always loved how rough and dark it is on one side and pearly iridescent on the other.


I wanted some other shiny elements to catch her little eye, so I wrapped some sections of the apple branches with pieces of wire that used to belong to my grandmother.


The smooth, dark branches were gleaned from our favorite apple ranch, and the others are fallen sycamore branches from trees in our neighborhood.


Now I want to make another.

8 comments:

  1. i really love how you joined and balanced everything. Reminds me of what motherhood is really all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maiz! I am so proud that Nova is the new little owner of your beautiful, magical piece of art! It is so special to read how you made it and to learn the (hi-)story of the individual pieces. I will send you a photo soon and then you can see it in its new home, with a mesmerized little girl sitting in front of it! Thank you so much for such a special and thoughtful gift, we are treasuring it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. have i told you lately that i love you?

    i want to make one! but i don't think i could make one nearly so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so beautiful! i just did a post on mobiles and how i love them. wish i had seen this first. the adjustments must have taken forever!
    amazing job,
    -shawnacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so talented! This is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find your mobile by printerst . oh . I love it sooo much .
    lovely greetings from germany . from simone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Simone. My little friend just moved to Germany, so now this mobile lives there, too!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment!