Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Chalkboard in the Hall

This simple project  has been on my to-do list for years.


And then, moments after I hung it on the wall, Ruben wrote his first sentence.


I bought a piece of decorative molding that had a ledge big enough for holding chalk and catching dust.  I rubbed some mineral oil on it, let it dry, and screwed it directly into the wall studs.


I painted a thin sheet of MDF with chalkboard paint (three coats with a smooth foam roller, and light sanding after each coat with 250 grit sandpaper).  I waited three days and then "seasoned" it by rubbing it all over with the side of a piece of chalk and then washing it.  I mounted it on the wall with drywall screws and finishing washers.


It has seen a lot of action all week.  Julio has become an expert at drawing 7 and 8-pointed stars.  What?  Your two-year-old can't draw an 8-pointed star?


I'm kidding, of course!  He just loves scribbling on everyone else's drawings.  And we all love this new chalkboard.


3 comments:

  1. seriously - i want you to come live in my house with me for about 3 months and see what you can do with this place. you have the best ideas!

    you should create a business where people like me send you pics of their room and you give them a few diy projects to make it better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds way too fun, Maya. Send me some pictures and pay me with yarn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last pic looks like it's out of a movie. Three happy kids and a proud looking husband. It's adorable and I love the idea too.
    Looking forward to have our own place and put some of my ideas on practice.
    Love your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!