Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Locks and Keys and Canada

Many years ago, I gave a presentation about a children's book to a class of second graders in northern California.  At the end of my talk, I asked the kids, "Do you have any questions?"  Half a dozen eager hands shot up, and the girl that I called on breathlessly asked, "Have you ever been to CANADA?"


I had asked a bunch of seven-year-olds if they had any questions.  Of course, they had questions!  As clever as those kids were, they hardly knew anything.  It didn't matter that Canada had absolutely nothing to do with my book and that I had only spent two hours once upon a time in the airport in Calgary, they were amazed.  We talked about Canada for twenty minutes!


I'm telling you this story because sometimes I need to remind myself that the most mundane things are often completely new to kids.  If your house is like ours, you probably even have lots of boring things in your closet or garage that would be fascinating and special to kids.


These locks were perfect for Ruben.  How on earth did we have so many kinds of locks in our hall closet?  There was a combination, a u-lock, padlocks in many sizes, and an old deadbolt with two cylinders.

 
I will look around for more accidental collections like this in our house.  Maybe we'll clean out the tool box or take apart some obsolete gadgets.  I'd love to give them an old typewriter or sewing machine to dismantle.


What else can you think of that is probably lying around the house and might be fun to examine?

3 comments:

  1. cool! can we borrow these? seriously, tho how do you have so many locks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, very cool idea Maiz! I'm definitely going to dig out some pad locks that I have! (Hopefully I can find them.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I think Ruben was very busy with his locksmith antics. Haha! Anyway, it's good that you let him do what tickles his curiosity. Who knows, he could be one of the best locksmiths in town. ^-^

    #Myrtice@AccessLockTech.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!