Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Cat and Mouse Costumes

A few years ago, I made this simple mouse costume for Diego:

                                         Photo by the great Sharon Montrose (Lucky us!)

He was also wearing matching brown pants and brown sandals.  A 14" long, tapered tail that was made out of the same fabric as the ears was tucked into the back of his pants.  He was absurdly cute in this costume, especially when he got into it and acted like a mouse, which he did EVERY SINGLE DAY until Christmas.

I think some fantastic toddler costumes can be made very simply using solid colored matching pants and shirts, with just one or two other accessories.  That way, if the costume does become a favorite, it's easy to wash, easy to get on and off in a hurry, and comfortable for play time.

Here's a picture of Ruben from last year, when he needed a quick NEW costume right before a Halloween party (!):

                                                                  (photo credit unknown)

I grabbed some kitty ears that we already had in our dress up box, and made very simple sock paws with white stitches out of some of Joe's black socks.  He wore a black turtleneck, black pants, black shoes and black eyeliner whiskers.  He had another long black sock safety pinned onto the back of his pants (I think I just stuffed it with another sock).  The paws were a great success for Ruben.  I think that because they were the part of the costume that he could see and interact with all the time, they really brought it alive for him.  When he put them on, he clearly felt like he became a cat.

This year our costumes will be a little more elaborate, but I do love the simplicity of these old favorites.

2 comments:

  1. I love these costumes!
    Their little faces in these pictures are so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this while Googling "Cute mouse costume." That really is adorable and I love the vintage appearance and quality. May I see some more pictures of it so I can have one made for my daughter? She has a music presentation in a few weeks and she's playing the mouse. (5-year old)
    I give this 2 strangers (at) gmail . com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!