Tuesday, June 29, 2010

First Tomato


"It smells of rain and steamy earth and hot June sun.
In the whole tomato garden it's the only ripe one."
-from 'Voyage to the Bunny Planet' by Rosemary Wells


In addition to anticipating the tomatoes, these little babies are giving me such pleasure in the garden right now.  Can you guess what they are?





Okay, I'll give you some hints:

1. Pozole
2. Ume maki
3. Tom Kha Gai
4. Sabzi

Did that help?  Well, you can take a look at this funny guy before I give you the answers:


Doesn't he look like one of Elsita's crazy characters?  Maybe he would be called "Tomatino."  Look how affectionate he is!

Okay, you ready?  The special herbs above are:

1. Epazote
2. Shiso
3. Lemongrass
4. Persian Basil (a.k.a. Lemon Basil)

Did you guess any of them?

4 comments:

  1. Oh! The green tomato with the little nose!
    I love him, and I love his name as well :)
    Hi Tomatino!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!

    You have a red tomato already? Awesome! Mine are all green green green. Need more sunshine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got Lemongrass! I'll have to study up a bit, I guess...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!