Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Garden Shrinky Dinks

While we're in the garden, I want to show you these tomato labels that I made with Diego a couple of months ago:



They are super easy to make, and seem to be holding up nicely in the water and sun:

Cut a big piece out of an old takeout container that is #6 clear plastic (salad-bar style).

Draw on it with Sharpies or other permanent markers and punch a hole in it.

Open your doors and windows (this is a little stinky and no doubt toxic).

Put it in the oven or toaster oven on parchment paper, foil or a piece of a paper grocery bag at 300˚ and watch closely.  All of the sudden, they will curl, shrink and then flatten out, just like regular shrinky-dinks!

You can use a paperclip to fasten them onto your tomato cages.

4 comments:

  1. Very clever, Mama Maiz. I'm going to shrinky-dink everything from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wonder if you can melt it using a barbeque and thus avoid the toxic indoor fumes alltogether

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, shrinky dinks! we have asthma here so can't ever do those, although I have been wondering about some sort of solar oven...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the next time I make these, I'm going to put the toaster oven outside.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!